It was his first international contest,he was only 20 years old and won it after 5 years of training beating Dennis Tinerino and Henry Greaves !
Arnold measurements and best lifts were like the following :(measurements taken before training, cold.)
- Bodyweight 235(formerly 154).
- Height 6’1″.
- Arms 21.5
- Neck 18.
- Chest 55(formerly 41).
- Waist 31.
- Upper arm 20(formerly 13).
- Thigh 26 (formerly 21).
- Calves 17
His best lifts :
- 430 Full squats.
- 410 Bench press.
- Curl 285.
- 605 Deadlift.
- Three Olympic Lifts total 805.
- Press 265.
- Snatch 242.
Unbeliveable transformation and strentgh for a 20years kid? Yes absolutely!
Arnold’s workouts were extremely intense, he did lot of sets for each body part. Trained twice a day : upper body in the morning and lower body in the evening( aka. double split workouts).
ARNOLD’S TRAINING PLAN
(By IronMan Magazine,Vol 26, No 5, Page 22, July 1967)
Each body part was trained three times a week.
His trained his legs everday.
He took Sunday’s off.
- Incline press 8 sets of 8 reps.
- Bench press 8 sets of 8-8-6-6-5-5-3-3
- Flys on flat bench 8 sets of 8 reps
- Dips 5 sets of 10 reps.
- Pullover on flat bench 5 sets of 10 reps.
- Chins–15 sets of 15 reps.
- Bent over rowing–15 sets of 10 reps.
- Press behind neck 8 sets of 8 reps.
- Side laterals 8 sets of 8 reps.
- Bent over raise, 8 sets of 8 reps.
- Bench press with narrow grip 7 sets of 8 reps
- Tricep barbell lying 7 sets of 8 reps.
- Dumbbell French press 7 sets of 10 reps.
- Pull down on lat machine 7 sets of 10 reps.
- Barbell curl 7 sets of 8 reps.
- Seated dumbbell curl with one arm 7 sets of 8 reps.
- One arm concentration curl with dumbbell 7 sets of 10 reps.
- Squat 5 sets of 8 reps.
- Front squat 5 sets of 8 reps.
- Sissy squat 5 sets of 8 reps.
- Leg curls with leg machine 10 sets of 10 reps
CALVES AND ABDOMINALS
- Heel raises 10 sets of 20 reps.
- Donkey raise 15 sets of 20 reps.
- Sit-ups 10 sets of 20 reps.
ARNOLD’S DIET PLAN
He combined this killer workout with a high-calorie,high-protein die( he ate +350 gram of protein) his diet was as the folowing:
( By Muscle Builder Magazine,May 1969, Vol 10, No 7, Page 12)
AT 7:00 A.M. Breakfast
- A German-Swiss cereal called Birchermuesii which is Comprised of rolled oats, ground nuts of mar kinds, dried raisins, dried apples, and seeds of many kinds (color: such as wheat germ). This delicious co cereal (you add milk only) to be purchased in health food stores.
- A vitamin-mineral tablet One tablet Protozyme to assist in protein and starch gestion
AT 9:00 A.M. BEFORE THE MORNING BERORE HIS DOUBLE SPLIT ROUTINE
- Insta Power (one container). Arnold Usually sips half of this before his workout, and sips the remaind during the workout.
AT 11:00 A.M
- Instant Nature Breakfast (one container) or Super Pro 101(mass gainers)
AT 2:00 P.M. (Germans and Austrians eat a late lunch)
- A light protein: such as tunafish or cottage cheese.
- A small green vegetable salad with lemon juice and roll
- A piece of fresh raw fruit
AFTER WORK (A HALF-HOUR BEFORE THE SECOND SECTOR OF THE DOUBLE SPLIT)
- A container of Insta Power (sipped as before, before the workout, the remainder during the workout)
DINNER aT 7:00 PM
- Full pound of beef
- A baked potato
- A typical Viennese dessert: such as pancake or Schillerlocken (a pastry cone filled with cream whippe), or walnut cake (you may substitute any kind of dry, nutt cake).
- A large cup of mixed salad.